I make my own baby food and I love doing it!!There is a really good book called 'super baby food' by Ruth Yaron It is an AMAZING book. I don't follow it to a T but it tells you what foods to give them when. How to tell if foods are ripe and info on how to make big batches of stuff. It is an AWESOME book I have used it for both of my kids : )
Okay, if you find an amazing canning salsa recipe please share because I'm not loving the stuff I canned last year. I have made my own baby food a lot before and I just stuck to simple stuff. No book or instructions required (which makes it very cheap :) If it was a veggie, I cooked it first. If it was a fruit I peeled it if necessary. I threw it in the blender. If it wasn't runny enough to pour I added water. Then I poured it into ice cube trays and froze it overnight. Once frozen I dumped the cubes in label ziploc bags to store in the freezer. To serve the food I put a cube or two in the bowl and microwaved for 30 seconds and then added rice/oatmeal/barley cereal and water. I got creative and mixed a cube of vegetable with a cube of fruit often. I found mixing anything with a cube of pears improved the flavor. Broccoli didn't turn out so well and it stunk so I wouldn't recommend it. As she got older I started taking leftovers of family meals and blending them up into cubes too... especially spaghetti. If I was going somewhere and needed to bring food I would put a couple cubes in a bowl with a lid and they would either be thawed by the time I needed them or I could find a microwave (even at the church). So good luck! It will save you TONS of money. Those little jars of processed food are pretty controversial health-wise anyway. :)
Hi, Dani! I've been wondering what you're up to in life. Congratulations on your adorable little boy. I make baby food easily w/ a KidCo food mill: http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524892549066&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=C4D36BB3-76B7-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA
Just steam veggies (or rice or whatever), stick it in and grind away. It's so easy. I've also done it by making big batches and freezing in ice cube trays, but I think it's just easiest to do this right at dinner w/ whatever we are eating, and no extra preparation. So much healthier than bottled baby food. (And cheaper, of course).
Collin and I were married on January 13th, 2006...yes that was Friday the 13th. So far we have had no bad luck! We had our little girl Emery Belle on May 14th 2009 and love her oh so very much.
6 comments:
I make my own baby food and I love doing it!!There is a really good book called 'super baby food' by Ruth Yaron It is an AMAZING book. I don't follow it to a T but it tells you what foods to give them when. How to tell if foods are ripe and info on how to make big batches of stuff. It is an AWESOME book I have used it for both of my kids : )
First update your About Me Section and Picture, Miles is feeling left out I can tell.
Second, there is a baby food blog that I follow, K, lets not judge my weirdness, http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/news/
Third, get in contact with Rachel Bell in the ward, she lives a few doors down by Stephanie and she makes the most amazing salsa EVER!!!
Okay, if you find an amazing canning salsa recipe please share because I'm not loving the stuff I canned last year. I have made my own baby food a lot before and I just stuck to simple stuff. No book or instructions required (which makes it very cheap :) If it was a veggie, I cooked it first. If it was a fruit I peeled it if necessary. I threw it in the blender. If it wasn't runny enough to pour I added water. Then I poured it into ice cube trays and froze it overnight. Once frozen I dumped the cubes in label ziploc bags to store in the freezer. To serve the food I put a cube or two in the bowl and microwaved for 30 seconds and then added rice/oatmeal/barley cereal and water. I got creative and mixed a cube of vegetable with a cube of fruit often. I found mixing anything with a cube of pears improved the flavor. Broccoli didn't turn out so well and it stunk so I wouldn't recommend it. As she got older I started taking leftovers of family meals and blending them up into cubes too... especially spaghetti. If I was going somewhere and needed to bring food I would put a couple cubes in a bowl with a lid and they would either be thawed by the time I needed them or I could find a microwave (even at the church). So good luck! It will save you TONS of money. Those little jars of processed food are pretty controversial health-wise anyway. :)
No and no... but I am a fan of eating salsa. So when you're done, I'll bring the chips and a season of Friends and we'll make a night of it... :)
Dani we need to get together! Fun to run into you at Disneyland!! Call me or text me sometime lets catch up 801-369-4791
Hi, Dani! I've been wondering what you're up to in life. Congratulations on your adorable little boy. I make baby food easily w/ a KidCo food mill:
http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524892549066&pfx=pfx_shopcompare&cid=shopping3&mr:trackingCode=C4D36BB3-76B7-DE11-93DB-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA
Just steam veggies (or rice or whatever), stick it in and grind away. It's so easy. I've also done it by making big batches and freezing in ice cube trays, but I think it's just easiest to do this right at dinner w/ whatever we are eating, and no extra preparation. So much healthier than bottled baby food. (And cheaper, of course).
Post a Comment